Visa Requirements

Students From The EU and EEA countries

Students from the EU and EEA countries do not need a VISA to study and stay in Poland. However, if the stay exceeds three months, the student is obliged to register the residence. The document is issued by the local Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki). You will receive a certificate with non-limited period of validity.

Students from Non-EU/EEA countries

  1. First check if you need a Visa to come to Poland. Details which countries are exempt from Visa requirements may be found on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

  2. Students from countries with Visa obligation applicable should apply for it at the Consulate of the Republic of Poland in their home countries. There are two kinds of Visas that are applicable to students: type C and D . Short-term (C) Visa allows the holder to stay in Poland up to three months. Long-term (D) Visa entitles the holder to stay in Poland up to one year. The prolongation of visa is allowed only in exceptional circumstances. If a student after one year wants to prolong his stay in Poland he has to apply for a temporary residence permit (see below).

    Search for the Polish Consulate in your home country here:

  3. Set an appointment with the consulate (required with most consulates):

  4. Prepare the following documents: application form, travel document (passport), biometric photo, health insurance, sufficient means to support yourself, documents stating the purpose of your stay. Required documents may vary depending on the consulate, so read the instructions carefully on the consulate's website.

  5. Submit all the documents with a printed and signed application form and pay the visa fee. Your application is complete. After 15 days you will know the results of the process.

Poland as a member of the Schengen zone, issues a Visa with a right to travel to other Schengen countries, which covers most of Europe excluding Great Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and non-EU members).

Temporary Residence Permit

Students should apply for temporary residence permit 45 days before their Visa expires. Temporary Residence Card will be issued which will prove the permission to stay in the Republic of Poland. The first permit will be issued for 15 months and then might be extended up to 3 years, but it cannot exceed the time of study period. Temporary Residence Card and valid travel document allows its holder to cross the Polish border many times.

Following documents should be submitted to the local Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki): application form, photos and documents proving identity and citizenship, address, purpose of stay (a certificate from student's University) health insurance and possession of sufficient funds. The application fee is about: 390 PLN.

List of Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki):